Well before we explain why SEO is so important and why every website should be optimised, let me first explain what is SEO. Firstly SEO stands for search engine optimisation and according to Webopedia “search engine optimization is a methodology of strategies, techniques and tactics used to increase the amount of visitors to a website by obtaining a high-ranking placement in the search results page of a search engine (SERP) — including Google, Bing, Yahoo and other search engines.”
Did you know that “there are over 2.9 million searches a minute. That’s 175 million searches every hour, 4 billion every day and 131 billion per month”. (Ragan.com)
But if you think of it this way how many times a day you search the internet for answers with out thinking about it. With the growth of smartphones and tablets, information is accessible 24 7. There fore companies/brands need to ensure that their website is being optimised to ensure shows up in people’s searches. You need to think like the consumer and optismise your site using the
that people may use to search for your product or service.
When reading up on SEO, via Google search, I came across on Raglan.com the following 10 statistics that will explain why every website no matter how small or niche your target market is, needs to optimised for SEO:
- More than 80 percent (82.6 percent) of Internet users use search. (B2B Social Media Guide)
- Seventy percent of the links users click during a search are organic. (Search Engine Journal)
- Seventy-five percent of users never scroll past the first page of search results. (Hubspot)
- Eighty percent of search engine users say they occasionally/rarely/never click on sponsored search results. (SEO Peace)
- More than 90 percent (93 percent) of online experiences begin with a search engine. (Rainbow SEO)
- Search is the No. 1 traffic driver to sites, beating social media by 300 percent. (B2B Social Media Guide)
- For Google, 18 percent of organic clicks go to the No. 1 position, 10 percent go to the No. 2 position, and 7 percent go to the No. 3 position. (SEO Peace)
- Forty-two percent of all searchers click on the top-ranked result. Only 23 percent click a pay-per-click (PPC) link. (BloggingPro)
- Almost 40 percent (39 percent) of customers come from search. (B2B Social Media Guide)
- Fifty percent of consumers are more likely to click on a search result if the brand appears multiple times on the results page. (Brafton)
So now you know what SEO is important but in order to be effective your company/brand must have an SEO strategy in place that is clearly monitored and amended to maintain your ranking.